Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How I Write

Since this blog serves as my repository for ideas, I'd like take this time to explain (or perhaps remind?) my future self how I go about writing an episode in case I forget. Dear Future Tabitha, this is how you write:

Start with a list of 25 ideas
Each idea is an event or dialogue
Examples of such events could be:
- a science discussion
- a song
- traveling somewhere
- making plans to travel somewhere
- meeting a new friend
- steps toward resolving a problem
Each idea takes about 1 minute worth of time
25 ideas = 25 minutes!

I got this idea from watching an episode of The Mighty Boosh. Of all the shows I like, I find The Mighty Boosh moves a long at a really good pace. Not too fast, not too bogged down. And when timing it out I discovered that each event takes about 1 minute. I think that's as good of a place to start as any.

So there you go, Future Self. That's how you start writing an episode.

Yours Truly (really and truly because I am you),
Your Past Self (Tabitha)

No comments:

Post a Comment