Thursday, December 30, 2010

2011 Goals and Lots of Lists

Seeing that it is almost New Years, I would like to share with you my goals for Seas of Science in 2011.  My main goal this year is to put on a stage production by October or November. The show will be comprised of 2, ~20 minute episodes (of which one is already written about photosynthesis), an intermission, and a live band set. That, OR 1 ~20 minute episode, 1 live science experiment, an intermission and a live band set. I figure that will be about an hour+.  I want the show to be on Saturdays and Sundays during the daytime so parents can bring their kids.

The quarterly breakdown goes like this:
  • 1st Quarter (Jan1-March31): design and hand off puppets to be constructed
  • 2nd Quarter (April1-June30): Finish second episode – Rocks and Volcanoes 
  • 3rd Quarter (July1-Sept30):
    • Get actors
    • Get Puppeteers
    • Build sets
    • Make Barry’s costume
  • 4th Quarter (Oct1-Dec31): PUT ON SHOW
Here’s some lists of stuff to build/find/sew/create:

PUPPETS
  • Sergio
  • 4 – 8 small Backup Marine Band - marine life (fish, clams, octopus, etc.
  • 4 – 6 small simple flower puppets (for a scene in the photosynthesis episode)
  • One big monster butterfly puppet
  • Rock tribe for 2nd episode (maybe make as a BUNCH 30+ cardboard cutouts on sticks)

COSTUMES 
  • Barry. I was thinking about me playing Barry because the robot costume is going to be a such a bummer to navigate. There will be limited visibility and transparencies that will have to be changed out from inside the costume. It'll get hot and claustrophobic. I would feel bad making someone else do this so I might wind up doing it myself.
  • Barnacle News Hour paper mache heads
  • The Crew. I was thinking of taping my good friend Rachel Piplica, owner of IRON DOLL CLOTHING, for this task. Rachel has a really creative mind for clothing design and has made some pretty awesome derby uniforms. I would love to see what she thinks about making something that's a spin off of these guys, Los Shapis, one of my favorite Cumbia bands. Check out those outfits, they’re so good:



Right?

ACTORS
  • Marisol
  • Lily
  • Sophia
  • Rodger
  • Captain

SETS
  • Galley inside the ship
  • Forest backdrop, can be very simple like painted panels/butcher paper w/ fake plants around

PUPPETEERS
  • I feel I will only need one really good puppeteer to deal with Sergio. Everything else can be manned by people that want to participate since they'll be simple hand puppetts. All of you are invited!

I'll continue updating this blog regularly because it keeps me motivated to spend time on this project. To scan in drawings, share with you how the script writing is going or what I’m stuck on, and continue to share Inspirado as I find it. I’m super excited about the upcoming year. I think 2011 will be a lot of hard work, but also a lot of fun. And thank you all for the positive feed back you've already given SOS! Much appreciated.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment