Monday, October 18, 2010

Inspirado: Big Nazo



Big Nazo is weird.

Big Nazo is one of those things where, at first, you're not quite sure what you're looking at. A friend of mine suggested I do some research about them and I just fell in love with everything they are about. They're a performance art group out of Providence, Rhode Island that make these amazing, monstrous costumes and run amok at festivals, parades, pretty much anywhere they want. People laugh, freak out, hug them, run away screaming...whatever the reaction, Big Nazo gets a reaction.

And those costumes?!? Dios Mio, they're horrifying! They're so much like what I remember about the nightmarish creatures of my imagination when I was a kid. Not that I'm looking to make SOS aesthetically terrifying to children, but I remember seeing things like Big Nazo as a kid and being drawn in solely by the look of them. I'd be even more delighted if the creature made me laugh. There's something so great about a big, burly monster who's really just a total goofball.

The artists behind Big Nazo make all the costumes and puppets by hand in their shop in Rhode Island. I'll admit I'm bummed I live on the other side of the country or else I'd march right over and pick their brains about characters for Seas Of Science

You can find out more about Big Nazo on their website. and blog.  I challenge you to take some time perusing their photo galleries and not be impressed with the crazy creatures they build. Here are a few more photos:

I love the one with the kid in the sandals being eaten.



Truly, Big Nazo is Inspirado. They go out and do their thing, and don't give a shit if people like it or hate it. In the end, they have a good time and that's all that matters.



All images are from the Big Nazo website.

No comments:

Post a Comment